If you're interested in adopting, the first step is to come to the sanctuary and meet our birds. You never know who you may end up falling in love with, or who may end up falling in love with you! When visiting, please keep in mind that our facility is a Parrot rescue and sanctuary, not a pet store. All the birds in our flock have a home at the sanctuary until we consider a new home suitable to benefit them.
To begin the adoption process fill out our adoption application (MS Word)
and mail or email it to us for our adoption committee to review. If your application is approved we'll do our best to match you with the perfect feathered companion!
Please take the time to read the following before submitting an application.
1. Our # 1 priority is the birds we care for.
2. Yes, we do charge a fee to adopt a bird. There is a great deal of time, money, sweat, blood, and tears that goes into the rehabilitation of many of our birds. While we are not-for-profit, that does not mean we can give the birds away. To do this would be to let down the birds that we are currently caring for and eventually cause us to shut our doors as there would be no money left to care for any of them. If you are looking for a free bird, please look elsewhere.
3. Our fees are not listed on our website because each bird's fee is based upon the costs we have incurred for that specific bird. Please do not call and ask the prices of our birds. This illustrates to us that you may be geared more towards the cost of the bird and not which bird would fit best into your family situation. We can assure you that all of our birds are well below retail that you would find at any pet store/breeder. We spend 1-2 hours daily taking phone calls regarding the fees, the personalities, etc., of each of our birds, and many times the bird you call about is not the bird that would be best suited for your situation. Please understand that this takes us away from caring for these magnificent creatures and therefore violates # 1 above. Once your application is approved, we will let you know all of the costs involved in adopting a specific bird.
4. We require a 50% downpayment (non-refundable) to put a hold on a bird. The rest of the adoption fee must be paid within 30 days. If you are unable to pay the balance within 30 days and you do not contact us to make alternate arrangements, the adoption will be denied. All adoption fees must be paid with cash, money orders, or cashier's checks. We no longer accept personal checks.
5. WE DO NOT SHIP OUR BIRDS EVER! Please don't call us and ask us to, as this would violate # 1 above.
6. We reserve the right to deny any application for any reason.